Hi! I’m Alison Marae. I’m a song and story writer, musician, international performer and artist. I’ve been teaching the arts for the last 20 years and continue to find it to be my life’s purpose. I was born and raised in Southern California and have lived in San Diego for all my adult life.
Inspired by storybooks, fairytales, nature and make believe, I write sing-along songs and stories that are quirky and catchy for kids (and their grownups). I’ve recently released three music singles under my children’s music persona, Hooray Miss Marae. You can find my songs, Me and You, Can a Camel Dance? and Gotta Dance! anywhere you stream music.
I’ve co-written and performed in three original children’s musical productions, Rhythm Red Riding Hood, The Fairy and the Dragon and The Holiday Show. I create with my partner in crime, songwriter/guitarist/producer, Wil Forbis. Our original family productions are interactive, multi-disciplined arts shows featuring original music, puppetry, theatre, storytelling, dance and visual art. We’ve performed around the world in Paris, London, NYC, Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego and fun little towns in between. We also perform vintage jazz with our duo Birdy and the Bowtie. I’m a former professional dancer/choreographer and still love to dance and teach!
As a teaching artist, I’ve been guiding students of all ages for two decades to feel empowered and happy through the expression of their heart and soul. I have taught and created my own programs for children, teens and adults in studios, public school arts outreach as well as staff for professional studios throughout San Diego since 1999.
Highlighted Music Past Events:
- San Diego County Library Tour 2019.
- Hullabaloo 20 Day Song Project (invited guest songwriter/singer) 2018.
- Portland, Oregon Library Tour, August 2017.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Summer Concerts, 2016-2018.
- Hullabaloo Family Music Festival, San Diego 2016.
- Pacific Northwest Music Tour August 2016.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Fall Festival 2016.
- San Diego Ukulele Festival 2015 (performer and workshop instructor).
- European Music Tour (Paris, London) Oct 2015.
- Unplugged Music Festival, San Diego 2015-2016.
- San Diego Music Award Nomination (jazz album, My Heart Cant Take It) 2014.
- San Diego Music Thing, San Diego 2014.
- Hawaii Music Tour July 2014.
- Adams Ave Music Festival, San Diego 2014.
- Libertopia Festival at Humphries by the Bay, San Diego 2013.
I’ve been a library performer/educator since 2014 (formerly known as Little Catbird prior to 2019). I’m fully insured, background checked and approved to perform and teach in San Diego County, CA, Orange County, CA and Multnomah County in Portland Oregon.
- LIST of LIBRARIES I’ve worked with (in no particular order) in the City of San Diego: North Park Library, Mission Hills Library, University Heights Library, Mission Valley Library, Skyline Library, Downtown Central Library, College-Rolando Library, Ocean Beach Library, Rancho Bernardo Library, Scripps Ranch Library, La Jolla Library, Pacific Beach Library, Paradise Hills Library, Serra Mesa Library, Mira Mesa Library, Balboa Library, Benjamin Library, University City Library, Marine Corp Library. San Diego County: Bonita-Sunnyside Library, Del Mar Library, Lemon Grove, Rancho Santa Fe Library, Crest County Library, Fletcher Hills Library, Poway County Library, Solana Beach Library, Santee Library, Ramona County Library, Cardiff-by-the-Sea Library, Encinitas Library, Vista Library. Orange County: University Park Library/Irvine, Heritage Park Library/Irvine, Dana Point Library, San Clemente Library. Portland OR: Sellwood Library, Hillsdale Library, Central Library. Riverside County: Temecula Library.
What People Say
“Kids who visit us at the Garden just LOVE Miss Marae! Her interactive performances are both entertaining and educational, not just for children, but the entire family. She is professional, easy to work with, and a joy to have here at the Garden. We always look forward to having her and her friends here with us!”
Lisa R. S.D. Botanic Gardens
“Miss Marae performs a fantastic music show that is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, and their caregivers. Their upbeat energy and sense of fun means everyone in the audience has a great time. You can’t help singing along and moving to the music!”
Angie S. YSL San Diego Library
“Miss Marae is fantastic. My 12 year-old daughter has taken ukulele lessons from her for 3 years…written a multitude of original songs and loves to play and sing. Miss Marae is truly a fun, kind and gifted teacher. My daughter is extremely shy but with Alison she has built the self-confidence to take on the stage with storm.
Julie W, a happy momma