Alison Marae (aka Hooray Miss Marae) a ukulele hugging singer, songsmith, international performer and teaching artist. Her children’s songs are inspired by storybooks, fairy tales, nature and animals. She writes songs that are quirky and catchy for kids and their grownups to sing and dance along to. She has released five music singles since 2020 and plans to release a full album in 2022. Her children’s music is available on all music streaming platforms.
Alison has co-written and performed in three original children’s musical productions, Rhythm Red Riding Hood, The Fairy and the Dragon and The Holiday Show. Created with partner in crime, songwriter/guitarist/producer, Wil Forbis. The original family productions are interactive, multi-disciplined arts shows featuring original music, puppetry, theatre, storytelling, dance and visual art. The duo has performed their music around the world in Paris, London, NYC, Hawaii, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego and fun little towns in between.
Alison Marae is also a jazz vocalist and songwriter with a soft spot for reimagining vocal jazz classics. Her EP of original songs and jazz standards, My Heart Can’t Take It, received a San Diego Music Award nomination in 2014. In 2022, she released Comes Love, an acoustic cover of the 1939 jazz standard. Her music is available on all steaming platforms.
During her 20 year career as a dance artist, Alison has performed as a dancer and choreographer with her own dance company, contemporary dance companies and independent choreographers. She created fifteen, full length choreographic staged works that have been featured in festivals, galleries and studios in NYC, LA and San Diego.
As a teaching artist, she has been guiding students of all ages for two decades to feel empowered and happy through the expression of their heart and soul. Alison has taught and created her own programs for children, teens and adults in studios, public school arts outreach as well as staff for professional studios throughout San Diego since 1999.
Highlighted Music Past Events:
- Discover Mission Bay Concert Series 2022.
- San Diego County Summer Reading Library Tour 2018/2019.
- Hullabaloo 20 Day Song Project (invited guest songwriter/singer) 2018.
- City of San Diego Summer Reading Library Tour 2014-2017
- San Diego Botanic Garden Summer Concerts, 2016-2018.
- Portland, Oregon Library Tour, August 2017.
- Hullabaloo Family Music Festival, San Diego 2016.
- Pacific Northwest Music Tour August 2016.
- San Diego Botanic Garden Fall Festival 2016.
- San Diego Ukulele Festival 2015 (performer and workshop instructor).
- European Music Tour (Paris, London) Oct 2015.
- Unplugged Music Festival, San Diego 2015-2016.
- San Diego Music Award Nomination (jazz album, My Heart Cant Take It) 2014.
- San Diego Music Thing, San Diego 2014.
- Hawaiian Music Tour July 2014.
- Adams Ave Music Festival, San Diego 2014.
- Libertopia Festival at Humphries by the Bay, San Diego 2013.
Alison has been a library performer/educator since 2014 (formerly known as Little Catbird prior to 2019). She is fully insured, background checked and approved to perform and teach in San Diego County, CA, Orange County, CA and Multnomah County in Portland Oregon.
- LIST of LIBRARIES Alison has worked with (in no particular order) in the City of San Diego: North Park Library, Mission Hills Library, University Heights Library, Mission Valley Library, Skyline Library, Downtown Central Library, College-Rolando Library, Ocean Beach Library, Rancho Bernardo Library, Scripps Ranch Library, La Jolla Library, Pacific Beach Library, Paradise Hills Library, Serra Mesa Library, Mira Mesa Library, Balboa Library, Benjamin Library, University City Library, Marine Corp Library. San Diego County: Bonita-Sunnyside Library, Del Mar Library, Lemon Grove, Rancho Santa Fe Library, Crest County Library, Fletcher Hills Library, Poway County Library, Solana Beach Library, Santee Library, Ramona County Library, Cardiff-by-the-Sea Library, Encinitas Library, Vista Library. Orange County: University Park Library/Irvine, Heritage Park Library/Irvine, Dana Point Library, San Clemente Library. Portland OR: Sellwood Library, Hillsdale Library, Central Library. Riverside County: Temecula Library.
What People Say
“Kids who visit us at the Garden just LOVE Miss Marae! Her interactive performances are both entertaining and educational, not just for children, but the entire family. She is professional, easy to work with, and a joy to have here at the Garden. We always look forward to having her and her friends here with us!”
Lisa R. S.D. Botanic Gardens
“Miss Marae performs a fantastic music show that is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, and their caregivers. Their upbeat energy and sense of fun means everyone in the audience has a great time. You can’t help singing along and moving to the music!”
Angie S. YSL San Diego Library
“Miss Marae is fantastic. My 12 year-old daughter has taken ukulele lessons from her for 3 years…written a multitude of original songs and loves to play and sing. Miss Marae is truly a fun, kind and gifted teacher. My daughter is extremely shy but with Alison she has built the self-confidence to take on the stage with storm.
Julie W, a happy momma